Prof. De Lorenzo is a colon cancer survivor, medical doctor and professor of biochemistry at the University Federico II Naples. He has a rich experience in cancer advocacy, being the co-founder, former Vice-President and the current President of the European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC). He is also the founder and President of the Italian Association of Cancer Patients (AIMaC), Italy’s first Cancer Information Service (CIS), and of the Italian Federation of Cancer Patients Organisations (FAVO). Prof. De Lorenzo is also active in Italy’s governmental network of cancer Institutes (ACC), Italy’s National Cancer Plan Committee and National Volunteer Observatory of the Italian Welfare Ministry. Prof. De Lorenzo was also engaged in Italian politics as a Member of Parliament (1983-1994), holding several ministerial mandates (Ministry of Health, 1989-1999).
At the Europe and international level, Prof. De Lorenzo is:
- Member of the European Commission Expert Group on Cancer Control;
- ECPC representative within CanCon, in several Work Packages;
- ECPC representative within the EU Joint Action on Rare Cancers, in several Work Packages;
- Founding Member of the Elite Oncology Roundtable, created under the auspices of the Society for Translational Oncology – STO, from which the European Cancer Patients’ Bill of Rights originated;
- Co-chair of ECPC Expert Group on Immuno-Oncology;
- Member of the General Assembly of the Worldwide Innovative Networking (WIN) Consortium;
- Member of the Patient Advisory Group of the IMI PREFER project;
- Member of the Science Policy Committee of the European Academy of Cancer Sciences.